Turkey Piadina: A holiday classic revisited with an Italian twist
The holiday season calls for special meals that bring warmth and joy to the table. This Christmas-themed Turkey Piadina recipe is a delightful twist on traditional holiday flavors, blending the Italian culinary tradition with the festive spirit of Christmas. It's a perfect dish for those who want to add a unique and gourmet touch to their holiday feast.
- 1 Turkey Leg
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Dried Rosemary
- BBQ Sauce (with a hint of festive spices like cinnamon or clove, if desired)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Apple Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Salt
- Star Anise (adding a touch of Christmas aroma)
- Carrots, shaved
- Roasted Potatoes, sliced crisps style
- Olive Oil EVO
- Piadina (Italian flatbread)
Preparation of the Turkey Leg:
- Preheat your oven to 320°F.
- Season the turkey leg with salt, pepper, and a rosemary rub.
- Roast in the oven for about 2 hours or until tender and falling apart.
- Let it cool, then shred and mix with cooking juices and BBQ sauce, for a moist and flavorful filling.
Pickling the Carrots:
- Boil water, apple vinegar, sugar, salt, and star anise for a festive twist.
- Immerse shaved carrots in this mixture, adding a bright and tangy component to the dish.
Preparing the Roasted Potato Slices:
- Choose medium-sized potatoes and wash them thoroughly.
- Cut them into thin slices, keeping the skin on for added texture and nutrients.
- Toss the slices in olive oil, sea salt, and a mix of festive herbs such as thyme and rosemary.
- Spread the slices on a baking sheet in a single layer, ensuring they don't overlap.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 392°F for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
Assembling the Piadina:
- Spread BBQ sauce on the piadina, then layer with radicchio.
- Add the shredded turkey, pickled carrots, and crispy potato slices.
- Roll or fold the piadina to encase the festive flavors.
- Serve warm, with the piadina beautifully presenting the colors and joy of the season.
This recipe is not just a meal; it's a celebration of Christmas on a plate. The warmth of the roasted turkey, the spiced tang of pickled carrots, and the comforting crunch of potatoes come together in a harmonious blend that perfectly captures the essence of the holiday season. Whether served at a family gathering or as a special meal during the festive period, this Turkey Piadina is sure to spread cheer and satisfaction. Enjoy this heartwarming culinary creation and have a merry Christmas!